Rural Senior Housing Initiative
|Information||Loans||Events||Links and Resources|
HAC's Rural Senior Housing Initiative supports affordable housing development for low- and very low-income rural seniors. With generous support from The Atlantic Philanthropies, the initiative has two broad aims:
(1) To advocate for better and better-funded programs; and
(2) to increase the capacity of currently successful senior housing builders, and create such capacity among new groups.
The RSH Initiative has several components:
- Affordable Rural Senior Housing. Print Copy: $4.00. Winter 2011 - 2012 issue of Rural Voices, HAC's Quarterly Magazine. In this issue, free at http://www.ruralhome.org, local groups and national organizations focus on strategies for developing, rehabilitating and preserving affordable senior housing in rural America.
- Federal Programs and Local Organizations: Meeting the Housing Needs of Rural Seniors (report, 2001)
- Housing and Services: Vermont’s SASH Program is a Model for Senior Care
- Housing for Persons with Disabilities in Rural Areas (information sheet, 2001)
- Préstamos y Subsidios para la Reparación de Viviendas para Personas con Ingresos Muy Bajos (Sección 504)
(Information Sheet, 2011)
- Préstamos para la Renta de Viviendas Rurales (Sección 515)
- Rural Rental Housing (Section 515)
- Rural Seniors and Their Homes (report, 2004; information sheet, 2011)
- Setting the Stage: Growing old in Rural America (PPT 2011)
- Supportive Housing for People with Disabilities (Section 811) (information sheet, 2002)
- Supportive Housing for the Elderly ([HUD’s] Section 202) (information sheet, 2011)
- USDA Rural Housing Programs for Seniors (Information sheet, 2011)
- Very Low-Income Housing Repair Loans and Grants (Section 504) (Information Sheet, 2011)
Webinar Training, The Silver Tsunami: Are We Prepared for a Senior Population Boom in Rural America? May 1, 2013 - 2:00 - 3:00 PM Eastern
Webinar Training, Aging in Place: Home Repair for Rural Seniors. June 19, 2013 3:00 - 4:15 PM Eastern, Topics will include the USDA Section 504 grant program and leveraging weatherization dollars for senior home repair. Register here.
Past Trainings & Materials
June 2012. Materials Posted!
Housing Seniors in Rural America: Resources, Advocacy, and Practice. Burlington, VT.
Agenda Handouts and Presentations
- Keynote: Gus Seelig
- Demographics of Aging in Rural America, Lance George
Outlook for Senior Housing Policy and Programs (Handouts)
- Aging in Place I, Creating a Meaningful Service Support System, Cathedral Square Corportation
- Design, Services, Advocacy, and Technology
- Preservation of Rural Rental Senior Housing
- Aging In Place II, Modifying Buildings to Meet the Needs of Seniors
- SASH: Nuts and Bolts
- Green Building: Nuts and Bolts
November 2011. Housing Seniors in Rural America: Aging in Place in a Shifting Landscape, Seattle, WA
HUD New Multifamily Housing Preservation Website. HUD’s new webpage provides owners of affordable multifamily housing with tools and resources for the preservation of Section 202 properties and Federal Housing Administration (FHA)-insured properties with maturing mortgages. Visit http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/housing/mfh/presrv/presmfh.